Friday 20 February 2015

Referencing. The bane of every student’s life really.




Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
How many references have I cited in my life?

I remember my first week at uni.  I was a very dedicated monkey and wanted all my monkey family to be proud of me as I entered university life.
 

I went to all the scheduled classes on timetabling, wellbeing, stress reduction, library data base access, IT workshops, class allocations and of course writing and referencing.

The writing and referencing course was listed as ‘extremely’ important to attend, so attend I did.

I met a wonderful lady in this session, a friend that remained with me throughout my uni life and for some years after until we went our own ways. 

This two hour session was long, boring and gave us so much information about writing and referencing that it was just overwhelming.

There were many comments by the facilitator along the lines of ‘Don’t worry,  you’ll get the hang of this’ and ‘ Don’t worry, your lecturers and tutors will remind you about all this each week’.

I remember my new friend, at the end of the two hours, walking out, a little more frazzled than she was when she walked in, saying ‘Thank Heavens that’s over and we never have to hear about referencing again!’

How wrong she was.

No comments:

Post a Comment